Monday, October 29, 2007

How cold is cold?

I was at McDonald's that day for brunch. I needed to spend some time somewhere so I figured the fast food restaurant was as good a place as any. After all, I am not all that fussy - I just wanted a place to rest my legs.

So when I reached there, it was about 11am. From what I recall, that happens to be the time when breakfast menu transits into lunch. The board still showed hotcakes and muffins so I asked the staff if lunch items were available already.

A pair of them was at the counter - an elderly lady and a teenage boy. I was quite impressed by the level of friendliness displayed. Across all the establishments in Singapore, I personally feel that Macs is one of those most consistent in their level of service. In addition, I always felt humbled when those elderly folks were serving me with such politeness (mostly).

I ordered a Double McSpicy set (when checking the spelling for this menu item, I realize it is now known as just McSpicy - did the burger shrink as well? *gasp*) then found a table. That boy brought me my burger and fries soon after. I asked him where I can get a straw (don't ask me why I couldn't find it) and he nicely volunteered to get it for me. He returned with that and some serviettes, and informed me of the availability of chili and ketchup at the corner too. Even though I didn't know him, I felt a swell of pride that he was learning his way around the "adult world".

Since I intended to kill some time, I brought along a book. I decided to finish my burger then attack the fries while reading. I was taking my own sweet time. When the burger was finally gone (actually just 5 minutes), the initially piping hot fries were actually cold. There can only be one culprit - the aircon.

How cold is cold, really? Shouldn't the thermostat be at least doing its appointed task? If the temperature is low enough to turn a packet of hot fries cold within 5 minutes, surely the place is *too* cold!

Instead of gauging the optimum temperature using our inaccurate human thermometer, perhaps the floor manager at Macs could have used a packet of fries instead. If you only need 5 minutes to "freeze" the fries, it is definitely too cold. A hidden agenda may be to chase lingering customers away but if the price to pay is a drop in the perceived quality of your food, I think perhaps the price is too high. If a customer is determined to stay on - for the space, wifi access, whatever - he is likely to do so whether you encase the place in ice or not. :P

So how cold is cold? Let the litmus test be a packet of adorable french fries. =)


The Hunger Site The Child Health Site The Breast Cancer Site The Animal Rescue Site

0 comments: