Monday, December 10, 2007

Can a cut finger pass the biometric test?

I cut my finger recently. It is recovering gradually though not as fast as I would like. All 10 of our fingers are important to us. It is when you do not have the use of one or more of them would you feel the loss.

Imagine how the sink will suddenly shrink when you hit your finger accidentally against the sink wall. Or how you will somehow flick the wrong finger when you push close the fridge door. Or how you will punch the keyboard with the finger you thought next to the injured one when it apparently isn't.

As the saying repeats, life goes on whether you like it or not. I was doing the dishes - yes, imagine handling a big pot bigger than your head with just your thumb and index finger... it is perfectly possible but balance is a tricky thing if you don't want to break a finger... anyway while washing, I hurt my cut finger more than once.

I looked at the poor digit and a question suddenly popped into my mind. Can a cut finger pass the biometric test?

Other than my biometric passport, there is no other biometric thingy around me. What if I have been using a laptop secured by a biometric lock? Imagine if the finger I cut is the finger required as the password. Does this mean I would be practically locked out till my finger recover?

It is scary when you think about it. When "upgrading" alphanumeric passwords to "securer" fingerprints, they are supposed to lock out intruders more effectively. But computers are not smart. In this hypothetical case, it might well be that an owner with his finger cut will be wrongly viewed as the intruder.

From a New Scientist article titled "ID Revolution - prepare to meet the new you" written by Celeste Biever, I quote, "Unfortunately, fingerprint scanners are far from foolproof. They may not record a clear print from sweaty, dirty fingers or those cut or bruised, or smoothed by hard labour." This writeup is more than two years old so technology might have advanced by now.

But if not, allow me then to heave a sigh of relief. I almost bought that IBM thinkpad that came with a biometric fingerprint reader. Pray remind me about my cut finger the next time I drool over another biometric complement. :P


The Hunger Site The Child Health Site The Breast Cancer Site The Animal Rescue Site

0 comments: