Thursday, December 6, 2007

Say thanks to American troops in Iraq

You've got something to say to U.S. troops deployed in Iraq? Well, check out the Let's Say Thanks mission at http://www.letssaythanks.com .


It is an initiative by Xerox and the mission is to provide a way for individuals across the country (read U.S.A.) to recognize U.S. troops stationed overseas. There is an entire series of postcards depicting patriotic scenes and hometown images for you to choose from. These designs were selected from a pool of entries from children across the States.

Just pick your favorite design and then add a template or personalized message. The postcards will then be printed and posted to the troops.

From Xerox's point of view, these men and women on duty are going to be touched by the postcards. I really don't know. If I was one of those people, would I be touched by a template message from someone I don't even know? It's "just Iraq". I am not fighting a war that threatens the existence of mankind. Do I really care about what you feel? I don't know about you but I am here because it's my job. Given a choice, I would want my arse back in the couch in my living room as soon as the next flight is available.

But of course, Xerox is just spending a little money to get some nice publicity for itself. This publicity campaign certainly doesn't hurt and shows the caring side of the company.

There is something I don't understand though. I am not American and it seems that the site caters to Americans only. There is a "state" field in the online form and the site's "About us" explicitly mentioned U.S.A only.

I guess if I really want to, I can fake the state information and have a card posted. But then, it would be so fake lol. I find it funny why only Americans can care for American soldiers. Cannot someone from another country want to show concern for American soldiers based in Iraq?

The world is inter-connected. Americans are humans too like the people I see around me, no? Cheers, Xero. Way to go.

PS.: My friend, slickcut, discussed this at her myLot discussion.


The Hunger Site The Child Health Site The Breast Cancer Site The Animal Rescue Site

0 comments: