Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Miss Diablo? Check out Monsters' Den!

A party-based dungeon crawl tactical RPG, Monsters' Den certainly packs a punch and is one of the best games uploaded yet to Kongregate. It reminds one of Diablo and it is heartening to note how far flash game programming has come. Credit to Garin, the developer!


In the game, you are the brain behind the puppets, controlling 4 characters to explore the dungeon and save the day. There is no damsel in distress but plenty (an overdose though, I would say) of exciting items for you to uncover.

There are 5 character classes to choose from - Warrior, Mage, Cleric, Rogue and Ranger.
Each time you successfully navigate your way to the exit and descend a level, your characters will gain a level each. This bit is different from how usual games in the genre work. Typically, your characters will level up based on the experience accumulated i.e. the more mobs you crush, the faster you level - and so, your characters might even level unevenly. This is not so for Monsters' Den but that does not make the game any less fun.

It certainly adds much enjoyment to many of my days as I explored the various combinations to try win the game. Well theoretically, the game is currently impossible to win since the number of levels is infinite (at least that's what I think, or it is quite definitely a big, big number). However, Kongregate has badges that act as milestones along the way so I consider myself to have completed the game since I got all the badges already.

I am embarrassed to admit that it took me quite a few tries (and lotsa patience minus the complacency that tends to set in soon enough) before I managed to get the much-coveted "Hardest of Core" badge that requires reaching level 50 on "hardcore" mode.

My winning combination was 3 rogues and 1 cleric at the back. The 3 rogues are all armed with daggers with life-draining capability and they will use the "Create Opening" skill that is basically 2 for the price of 1. If you can't find life-draining daggers, those with poison capability are great too. Otherwise, the higher the weapon damage, the better. The cleric is loaded with mp regeneration gear and spams "Heal" when necessary. The rogues can wear hp regeneration gear.

Another combination that might work as well is 4 rogues who "Hide" then "Sneak Attack". I haven't tried this myself though. I personally think the combo with a cleric is better since otherwise, we can't do "free healing" near the end of each battle - and there are only that many potions and healing shrines around.

So if what I have said sounds interesting, do check out Monsters' Den. Have fun! =)


The Hunger Site The Child Health Site The Breast Cancer Site The Animal Rescue Site

0 comments: