Friday, April 24, 2009

Lack of transparency for Google Chrome update

If there is one thing strange about Google Chrome, it is a lack of transparency - something I thought Google is rather fond of portraying.

I just updated my version of Google Chrome from 1.0.154.53 to 1.0.154.59. And after the browser is updated, I am still none the wiser what the changes are.

Take a look at Firefox for instance, after any update, an "updated" page will auto load and we can see the changes made leading to the new version. Arguably, this page is no big deal for most people but it is still kinda nice to be able to know what have changed.

It would be indeed sweet for Google Chrome to follow this example or do something similar.

Then again, it might well be that the lack of ready apparent transparency is deliberate. After all, Chrome was touted as a browser simplified for the "IT-illiterate" masses - so why confuse with information that you most likely can't make sense of? If so, alright, I rest my case. :P

PS.: I did not allow Chrome to auto-update like, I think, most Chrome users (since auto-update is the default option). Since I do my updating manually, I guess perhaps most will have no idea when and if their browsers have updated (I think updating was touted to be seamless, non-obtrusive and in the background) and so no information needs to be provided thus. :PP


The Hunger Site The Child Health Site The Breast Cancer Site The Animal Rescue Site

0 comments: