Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Digital Journal crumbles!

Breaking news! Digital Journal crumbles!

This is good stuff and I want to be the first one to report on it. I quickly opened a tab on my original Firefox and tried to log in to my Digital Journal account... but hang on, did you say DIGITAL JOURNAL? The same DIGITAL JOURNAL I am supposed to report from?

Yes.

Alright guys, this is harmless poking. I am genuinely sorry to read about such tragic news. I can imagine one hard drive failing, but to have all fail on you at the same time, it must have been quite a blow (no pun intended). I have communicated with Christopher Hogg (Editor-in-Chief of DigitalJournal.com) via emails before and he came across as a really sweet guy.

I do hope that users at DJ have patience and give these poor guys some time. The new equipment has to first arrive, and we will still need some miracles from CBL Data Recovery Technologies. I have one little hope though that instead of just reverting, do a complete overhaul. For one, I found the site-that-was too slow. I am not on an antique computer and I am riding on a 12 Mbps broadband. Still, every page took me a few seconds. DJ, maybe this is God's way of hinting that you need a faster engine. :P

I do hope that the data can be successfully recovered. If not... this will make an even bigger dent in your reputation. Users, be they old or new, would hesitate to spend good time replicating their former efforts. What is there to assure them that there won't be a second or third time? I think a revamp of the site will at least smoothen some creases.

For those who want more information, please check out the homepage of Digital Journal at http://www.digitaljournal.com where Christopher had left a detailed explanation. In case it gets taken down later on and you remain inquisitive, I have snapped a pdf and you can see it at http://www.divshare.com/download/472148-07c .

To end off, here's wishing DJ success in rising from the ashes! ^^

PS.: Check out the upcoming Harry Potter - Order of the Phoenix... OOPS. Did I get carried away again? :P


The Hunger Site The Child Health Site The Breast Cancer Site The Animal Rescue Site

10 comments:

wolfman2001 said...

I'm not sure this is the right time to pick on Digital Journal for any perceived design flaws.A meltdown of this magnitude is unheard of and the DJ community has pulled firmly behind the site. I don't think the damage to Digital Journals reputation will be more than a fleeting thing. I know you meant much of what you said in jest but, there are a lot of us suffering withdrawal at the moment without our favorite news hub. Chris, Alex and company have formed one of the great online information sources of all time and DJ will come back bigger and stronger then ever. Try to hold off on the criticism until the site can defend itself. After all, what fun is kicking a dead horse? :)

sandlocks said...

Hello Lord of War,

I'm Franklin from Digital Journal. It is very interesting to see that you're picking on Digital Journal while it is still down. If you knew anything about what these guys have been through in the past couple of days, you wouldn't be saying what you are saying in your blog. I wonder how would you feel if you owned a website and it crashed all of a sudden. Then you wouldn't be laughing would you?

Digital Journal Staff has been working really, really hard to make all of the users satisfied and they've accomplished so much in these couple of months. I take it from your blog that you haven't been on DJ for a long time to see it change and to actually follow what the staff has been doing. Therefore, there is no need for me to tell you further what I think about your blog and you in general.

Franklin

Lord War Wizard said...

Hello wolfman, thanks for the input. ;-)

I hope I was just making a little harmless poke. There are many ways of saying the same thing and I could have painted it many times worse. :P

I did email Chris regarding my little "jest" here. If he prefers I take this down, I will. So if you check back and this is gone, you know why.

PS.: You mentioned the DJ community. How do the users there communicate now that the site is down? Or are you referring to your own informal group of friends?

wolfman2001 said...

LWW, The community has a pretty good communication line between the regular users. We've kept each other up to date since this all started. Chris is all for freedom of speech so I know he's never want you to take this down. I just couldn't let your comments go unanswered. A Wolf's protective instinct you know!

Lord War Wizard said...

Hello Franklin,

I am sorry you took it the wrong way. I would ask that you take a step back and view it in the light I hoped.

Certainly I wasn't "picking" on Digital Journal. I was just giving my opinion of an incident as-is.

I freely admit that I wasn't aware of any "changes" since I am a very new user myself. I haven't logged in for a few days and I only found out about the crash today.

Just want to clarify that I mean no malice by my post. If you want to look at it another way, comment moderation has been enabled for this blog - I could have kept all comments from being published instead of explaining myself. :P

Lord War Wizard said...

Sure thing, wolfman. I am all for freedom of speech too. And after all, this blog is not titled "Delusions of a Deranged War Wizard" for no reason.

A crazy guy is allowed his ravings, no? :P

sandlocks said...

LWW,

Well, how can I not take it in a bad way? As wolf has stated, you're pocking fun of DJ while it is still down. When DJ is back up, it WILL come stronger than you thought. I just think that it is not right what you're doing.

Just so you know, DJ community is really tight. We know many, many users and we talk with them on a regular basis.

Oh yeah, and if you don't want to publish my comments, go ahead. That would just prove my point.

Lord War Wizard said...

Franklin, I think you are missing my point. If you just want to be quarrelsome, I am not famous for my patience.

It is not entirely correct to say I am poking fun at DJ while it is still down. Rather, I was giving my take on the incident right after reading the news. I was trying to log in to my DJ account, then I saw the message - just.

If you are not too uptight to find amusement in fugly situations, then you can perhaps appreciate my post better. That said, you are not my clone so I accept that you may have a different view from me.

I don't know a thing about the DJ community since I am new and have not been spending too much time there. I hope you are not highlighting that you have "many, many users" just so that you can intimidate me into eating my own tongue by sheer strength of numbers.

I am a coward and will file a police report if someone threatens to burn me with apple juice. You know I will - I was crazy enough to eat 2 light bulbs for breakfast today. (Alright, I was just teasing and kidding all the while. Peace ok? :P)

wolfman2001 said...

LWW,

Digital Journal has rejoined the ranks of the living! Now that all this ugliness is behind us I'm hoping to see you around the site. Come find out why this community really is the best on the Net!

Lord War Wizard said...

AWESOME!!! *wink*