Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Library@orchard closing by Nov 2007

Nov 2007 will see library@orchard shutting its doors at Ngee Ann City forever.

I read this news with a mixture of sadness, anger, and amusement.

Sadness because I have always enjoyed the convenience and accessibility of this well-stocked branch. Anger because a small voice in me cries out "How can they do this without asking me?!!" Amusement because a small part of me thinks NLB is just getting its just desserts.

You see, I have had occasions to liaise with NLB regarding renting of rooms and let's just say that they drive hard bargains. I am just guessing that they are not renewing their lease at Ngee Ann City because the rental price has gone up. Of course, I might be totally off the mark. :P

Before I go on, can somebody tell me how I am going to survive without a library at Orchard for 3 years?

According to this article which I have mirrored here ,
"Dr N Varaprasad, Chief Executive of National Library Board said, 'We are very excited about our move to the two new possible locations, which will help us to meet the evolving and diverse needs of the youths and instil a stronger sense of learning culture amongst them.'"

Well, he is excited but I am not.

In my opinion, the location at Ngee Ann City far surpasses the others. For anyone going to town by train, he just need to drop off at Orchard MRT station then walk a short distance to the library. On his way, he can even check ou
t Kinokuniya Book Store that is just below. Plus the fact that Borders, and even Popular, is just nearby, this makes Orchard a vibrant center for books and reading.

But of course, now this situation will change and definitely, we are all very excited about the move. Mooch.


The Hunger Site The Child Health Site The Breast Cancer Site The Animal Rescue Site

0 comments: