Friday, July 27, 2007

Self Destruct Message

I came across this self destruct message service from here and thought it is pretty cool. Check out www.sdmessage.com to try it out for yourself. The name of this service seems to be... er... Self Destruct Message (SDM). So just take it literally at face value. :P

Basically, you get the option to fire off a quick memo to someone without the hassle of logging in to your email account. It may be that you need to rush off quick and don't want to wait for the recently-slowing gmail to load. It may be that you are surfing on an unsecured network and don't want to risk exposing your email password. It may be that you really want to utilize the self-destructing option.

Whichever, what this free service does is to send your message to your intended recipient as a hyperlink in an email. So the recipient will receive an email supposedly from you and he will have to click on the link to view the message that is only visible on the site for 60 seconds.

There are 2 things though that I don't like about this service. Firstly, they collect and keep all our IP addresses. Secondly, their privacy policy also says that SDM reserves the right to communicate with everyone who has used this service "from time to time about important notices" and that "these communications are mandatory". 2 privacy ouches here.

I admit that I read their privacy policy only after doing my experiment. So it seems that many people will be unknowingly captured in their mammoth mailing list. And sorry, there is no (easy) opt-out option available.

This is only my first day trying this service so I have not had the chance to receive any mailings from them *yet*. I will be posting again if they start spamming me for fun. *hmph*

Another word of caution is that you should use your discretion when sending possibly sensitive information over this service. Period.


PS.: I have tested another similarly simplistic service at www.destructingmessage.com but the 2 test messages I sent appeared to have wandered lost. *gasp*

New request: I would like to see a character counter too. Since there is a character limit, it would be more convenient if our character quota is shown dynamically decreasing as we type. This should be simple enough to implement. :P


The Hunger Site The Child Health Site The Breast Cancer Site The Animal Rescue Site

0 comments: