Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Mediacorp Internet Radio closed - what a shame

Oh boy, am I disappointed... over my side, I have been recommending Mediacorp Internet Radio to my friends. I told them how cool this service is and that this massive jukebox is my first choice of music.

Well yesterday, I felt like listening to radio and I got hit by an error message. I thought nothing of it, thinking it was just a temporary service disruption. But today, the same thing happened so I clicked on for the details and realized they had terminated the service altogether. The site used to be at www.smartradio.sg and it has apparently been shifted to www.digitalradio.sg (I had to do a search to dig it back up).

Whichever, Mediacorp is no longer providing music via the Internet. Not since a few days ago on 1st Mar 09. I think it is a real shame as the Internet has a much wider reach than mere FM. So the company wants to go retro? Mediacorp thinks cavemen rock? I see.

Really, I am beginning to see great future in this company.

Update: Today, I realize from a newspaper report that I have wronged Mediacorp. Apparently they have been "forced" to close their online streaming stations. It seems that Mr. Rips has decided to impose a licensing fee on them should they wish to continue, a fee that is supposedly 5 figures per station per year. Granted that it is still not a lot for them, nevertheless I don't recall seeing any advertisement on their online streaming. From a free value-added service to paying just trying to be nice... so, I can understand where they are coming from.

As such, Mediacorp, please accept my apologies for wronging you.


The Hunger Site The Child Health Site The Breast Cancer Site The Animal Rescue Site

0 comments: