Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Geez, have you heard of office peon?

Earlier, I received yet another of those spam mails urging me to take advantage of one of their 1 million job openings.

My jaw almost dropped when I saw this designation - Office PEON! A peon of all things!!

This is a word that is so rarely in use. The few times I saw it were all in games set in the medieval period and PEON there was used to refer to a PEASANT i.e. slave, worker, minion, whatever.

Yes, officially, a peon can be used to describe a laborer who is obliged to do menial work (source). But c'mon, I personally find the job title of "office boy" somewhat demeaning already. You can't technically "boy" someone who is possibly older than you or even just close to your age.


You lord over that poor "boy", make him run all sorts of errands and you can't even bear to give him a proper name. The least you can do is to call him an Office Executive. In this time when titles are cheap, why not be generous and shake off your barbaric roots?


The Hunger Site The Child Health Site The Breast Cancer Site The Animal Rescue Site

0 comments: